Red Cross lifeguard training set for Fuller Hall
A lifeguard training course is planned for Fuller Hall starting later this month.
According to officials at Fuller Hall, a minimum of six people are needed for the class, with a cap of 12. Lifeguard candidates must be 15 years of age by Feb. 21 and an ID will be required on the first night of class.
Registration is going on now through Feb. 19. The fee for the class is $175 which includes all materials used during the training, is due upon registration. Registration and payment will be taken at Fuller Hall, 625 Bank St., Webster City, IA 50595. For more information, call 832-9193 or 515-297-1691.
A pre-course swim test will be given the first night of class. Students must successfully complete:
Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
• 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing;
• 100 yards of breaststroke using pull, breathe, kick and glide sequences;
• 100 yards of either front crawl or breaststroke or a combination of both.
Timed event: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 to 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using the ladder or steps within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
Attendance at the sessions is mandatory and classes will be held as follows:
• Sunday Feb. 21 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. pre-course test, lifeguard skills
• Tuesday, Feb. 23 6 to 10 p.m. Lifeguard skills
• Sunday, Feb. 28 5-9 p.m. CPR, first aid and AED
• Wednesday, March 3 5-10 p.m. CPR, first aid and AED
• Saturday, March 6 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Final testing and skills scenarios
Participants are asked to bring writing and study supplies, including pens/pencils and paper; swimsuits, towels and warm clothes to change into; Lifeguard Training book (issued after completion of pre-course swim test).