Crutcher, Perin and Willson stand out for Lynx at Waverly
WAVERLY — Season’s best performances by a number of runners made the hot, humid day a success for the Webster City cross country team here on Tuesday.
Competing in the age classification races at the Dick Pollitt Go-Hawk Classic on the Wartburg College course, the Lynx looked to their usual leaders to show the way once again. They didn’t disappoint.
Matt Perin and Jacob Willson guided the junior boys to a seventh place team finish in a field of 15 squads. Perin, a first-year runner, out-kicked his teammate down the stretch and placed ninth in 18:19, a new personal best. Willson was right behind in 10th with a clocking of 18:21.
For the sophomore girls, Jacie Crutcher continued to be the catalyst. Her season’s best time of 23:29 was 10th in the class and the top female time for the Lynx by nearly three minutes.
“We had a number of people who had season’s bests, but those three stand out,” WCHS head coach Joe Lambert said. “It was a big meet and Waverly is a really good test to see if the training we’ve been doing is paying off. It wasn’t everybody’s best night, but there were some who stepped up.”
Lambert also liked the performance from sophomore Cole Reiling, who was 17th among his peers in 19:48. Kasey Porter was 25th in 19:56 in the senior class, and Wyatt Bingham was the top freshman with a time of 22:24, good for 31st.
Emma Peck led the WCHS girls’ freshman duo; she was 32nd in 27:52. Kaelyn Butz was the lone Lynx junior racer; she placed 35th in 26:22.
Dick Pollitt Go-Hawk Classic
Tuesday at Waverly
32. Emma Peck 27:52; 44. Ella Hansen 30:11.
10. Jacie Crutcher 23:29; 37. Allison Oswald 28:46; 50. Brynna Croy 33:08.
35. Kaelyn Butz 26:22.
Freshmen (16th of 18)
31. Wyatt Bingham 22:24; 35. Gabe Rollins 22:56; 73. Derek Carr 41:02.
Sophomores (14th of 16)
17. Cole Reiling 19:48; 27. Jose Ramirez 20:51; 74. Matt Borkowski 30:43; 75. George Vila 30:50.
Juniors (7th of 15)
9. Matt Perin 18:19; 10. Jacob Willson 18:21; 40. Reece Sadler 21:33; 50. Codey Berg 23:10.
Seniors (12th of 13)
25. Kasey Porter 19:56; 46. Jackson Moberly 22:49; 51. Patrick Rief 24:11.