Upcoming city project to bury electric lines will take cooperation of area homeowners
Overhead electric lines in two areas of Webster City will be moved underground in an upcoming project that will require the cooperation of home owners.
One of the affected areas is bordered roughly by Bank Street to the north, Beach Street to the east, Walnut Street to the south and Lynx Avenue to the west.
The other area is bordered by Boone Street to the north, Des Moines Street to the east, Ohio Street to the south and Beach Street to the west.
Homeowners in the those areas will have to prepare their properties to receive electricity via underground wires.
Property owners in the two areas will receive a four-page letter explaining the project, Public Works Director Ken Wetzler told the City Council Monday.
There will also be a public meeting for those property owners at 7 p.m. May 21 in the Municipal Building.
Mayor John Hawkins said storms last year knocked down a lot of power lines in those two areas. Placing the lines underground will prevent that problem.
City officials had unsuccessfully sought bids for the project two times. The latest bidding resulted in the City Council awarding a contract for the work on Monday.
The council hired Primoris Aevenia Inc., of Johnston, to do the work at a cost of $993,389.85.
“At least we’ll finally get it moving,” Hawkins said.
The work is expected to start around June 15 and be done by Dec. 1, 2020.