Legion announces parade plans
Participants sought for Memorial Day
As Memorial Day approaches, the American Legion Post 191 is in the process of making plans, weather permitting, for their parade and services at the North Des Moines Street Bridge, Cass Cemetery, Boulevard of Valor and Graceland Cemetery.
The Legion is seeking participants for the parade as well as individuals, organizations, or businesses who wish to help honor Memorial Day.
Those who wish to help are asked to contact parade chairman Randy Youngdale at (515) 835-0712.
The Legion is also seeking a few convertible cars to help carry the older veterans who wish to participate.
Calls can also be made to the Post at (515) 832-2087 after 4 p.m.
More information will be published as Memorial Day approaches.
The schedule of events for Memorial Day is as follows:
• 8:15 a.m. — Legion members and Auxiliary assemble at the American Legion Post 191 Hall for transportation to the services.
• 8:45 a.m. — Services at the Marshall Crippen bridge on North Des Moines Street for those lost at sea. The ceremony will be conducted by the Post 191 Auxiliary.
• 9:15 a.m. — Services at Cass Center Cemetery, which will be conducted by the American Legion Post 191.
• 10:10 a.m. — Formation of the parade in the 700 block of Second Street North Alley.
• 10:25 a.m. — Parade proceeds south on Des Moines Street to the Boulevard of Valor. Presentation of the roses at the markers. Recognition of active duty military personnel by the Auxiliary. Continuation of the parade to the entrance of Graceland Cemetery and the Memorial Stage.
• 11 a.m. — Services will begin at the Graceland Cemetery, which will be conducted by Commander Dale Caquelin.
In the event of inclement weather, the service will be moved to Jefferson Gymnasium at 10:30 a.m.
For more information or questions contact Caquelin at (515) 297-3735 or Youngdale at (515) 835-0712.