Lynx face premier field at Mike Carr Invite
Boys take fifth, girls ninth in Class A
HUXLEY — Difficult terrain and fields loaded with premier runners and teams made it tough sledding for the Webster City girls’ and boys’ cross country teams Monday at the Ballard Golf and Country Club.
The newly named Mike Carr Invitational featured a slew of ranked teams, and although the meet was trimmed in half from the four-class monstrosity that it used to be, it still provided plenty of challenges, including hot and humid conditions that left many runners laid out once they breezed through the finishing chute.
“The Ballard course is a fairly narrow course and if you don’t get out fast in the beginning, you kind of get buried in the masses,” WCHS head coach Joe Lambert said. “There were also a lot of excellent teams there, so it was a challenging meet.”
Competing in Class A — the largest of the two classes — with three ranked 3A teams, the Lynx boys settled for a fifth-place finish with 145 points. Second-ranked Dallas Center-Grimes topped the field with 44 points, followed by sixth-ranked Carlisle (66), 13th-ranked Bondurant-Farrar (82) and ADM 117.
“To come in fifth place behind the teams that we did, I thought we represented ourselves very well,” Lambert said. “You can tell that the training is paying off.”
John Piaszynski again led the Lynx, as his methodical approach paid dividends over the final mile. He gradually began to pick off runners as the 5K neared its completion and wound up in 14th place in 18 minutes.
“From the middle of the race until the end, he was passing people,” Lambert said of Piaszynski.
Tyler Bultena, who normally runs alongside Piaszynski, was noticeably uncomfortable throughout the race as he clutched at his stomach. But the senior still gutted out a 23rd-place result in 18:27.
Freshman Sam Vanderpool continued to fit seamlessly in the No. 3 spot for WCHS; he came across in 19:05 to place 32nd. Max Harfst (19:12) was just seven seconds behind his teammate in the 34th position, and Tucker Judkins (19:46) finished the scoring in 42nd.
Jacob Willson (19:46, 43th) and Matt Johnson (20:14, 52nd) also competed for the Lynx.
The WCHS girls’ squad again found it difficult to push its way into the upper-half of the 11-team field. The Lynx failed to put an individual in the top 40.
“The training seems to indicate that the girls should race better than they are. Last week our workouts were just marvelous and everything was pointing towards a very good race on Monday,” Lambert said. “But it was a Monday race and there are variables over a weekend that I can’t control.”
Eighth-ranked (3A) Ballard kept the girls’ team title at home with 48 points, four ahead of third-ranked (3A) Pella (52). No. 5-ranked DC-G (55), Winterset (136) and Norwalk (159) completed the top five.
Emma Piper continued to take the lead for the Lynx; the junior came down the final straightaway and crossed the finish line in 24:43 to place 41st. Freshman Kaelyn Butz was next across in 25:42, which placed her 47th, and Kaitlyn Wagner gave the Lynx a third top-50 finisher; she took 49th in 25:42.
Elycia Obrecht (26:01, 51st), Haley Flaws (26:45, 56th) and Haley Johnson (30:54, 71st) completed the Lynx varsity team.
In the Class B boys’ field, a pair of top-ranked teams went head-to-head and it was (3A) Gilbert that nudged out (1A) Nodaway Valley for the title, 52-58. Gilbert’s Rees Tyler was the individual champion in 16:34.
No. 4-ranked (3A) Humboldt was the Class B girls’ champion with 40 points, five in front of 10th-ranked (3A) North Polk (45). Humboldt’s Bryce Gidel was the first to the finish line in 19:19.
The Class A individual winners were Megan Sievers (19:25) of Carlisle and Drake VanBaale (17:12) of Bondurant-Farrar.
WCHS will head to Swan Lake in Carroll Saturday morning for the Kuemper Invitational.
Mike Carr Invitational
Monday at Huxley
GIRLS RESULTS (CLASS A)
1. Ballard 48; 2. Pella 52; 3. Dallas Center-Grimes 55; 4. Winterset 136; 5. Norwalk 159; 6. ADM 176; 7. Bondurant-Farrar 192; 8. Carlisle 229; 9. Webster City 244; 10. Perry 263; 11. Boone 265.
Individual Top 5
1. Megan Sievers (CAR) 19:25; 2. Sadie Juergens (ADM) 20:22; 3. Ellie Twedt (BAL) 20:27; 4. Miranda Muhlstein (DC-G) 20:52; 5. Caroline McMartin (PEL) 20:58.
Webster City Results
41. Emma Piper 24:43; 47. Kaelyn Butz 25:25; 49. Kaitlyn Wagner 25:42; 51. Elycia Obrecht 26:01; 56. Haley Flaws 26:45; 71. Haley Johnson 30:54.
BOYS RESULTS (CLASS A)
1. Dallas Center-Grimes 44; 2. Carlisle 66; 3. Bondurant-Farrar 82; 4. ADM 117; 5. Webster City 145; 6. Pella 155; 7. Winterset 169; 8. Boone 181; 9. Ballard 243; 10. Norwalk 278; 11. Perry 307.
Individual Top 5
1. Drake VanBaale (B-F) 17:12; 2. Jacob Waymire (DC-G) 17:16; 3. Caleb Cobbs (BO) 17:18; 4. Thomas Gauley (PEL) 17:21; 5. Alex Thompson (DC-G) 17:23.
Webster City Results
14. John Piaszynski 18:00; 23. Tyler Bultena 18:27; 32. Sam Vanderpool 19:05; 34. Max Harfst 19:12; 42. Tucker Judkins 19:46; 43. Jacob Willson 19:46; 52. Matt Johnson 20:14.