Black smoke billowed from a fire in the Electrolux main plant building in Webster City on Thursday evening.
According to Webster City Fire Department chief Mike Lund, the fire began at approximately 5:30 p.m. A construction crew from Brandenburg Industrial Services Company, out of Chicago, was cleaning litter and rubble inside the building they were working to demolish.
"How they do cleanup is they have these big machines with grabbers that grab hold of these big I-beams and they put those down and they were using those kind of as a blade to push material," Lund said. "And they think, when they were pushing that material across the concrete, they may have created a spark."
The thick smoke that brought many onlookers was likely due to the trash the construction crew was moving, which consisted of cardboard and styrofoam. Lund said those are easily ignitable materials with the right kind of spark.
No one was injured in the fire, which was contained at approximately 6 p.m. Firefighters began to exit the scene at approximately 7:30 p.m.
"Our guys did a nice job," Lund said.
There was no monetary loss in the fire, as all that burned was waste material.
The Blairsburg Fire Department covered the Webster City Fire Department's station during the fire at Electrolux. The Webster City Department was assisting at an accident on the west side of town where a driver was trapped in their car when the Electrolux fire broke out.