WAVERLY - The Webster City boys' cross country team continued to make progress here last night, with the senior class leading the charge at the Waverly-Shell Rock Go-Hawk Invitational.
The age classification meet - the top three place finishers per class generated the team total - brought together many of the premier runners from eastern Iowa and gave the Lynx the opportunity to see what the other side of the state has to offer.
The Lynx seniors garnered three top-20 places and took second out of the 15 competing teams. Steven Smith - a Northeast Hamilton student - set the pace again and placed 10th in 18 minutes, 24 seconds. Veterans Jacob Clabaugh and Ethan Glenn completed the scoring trio; Clabaugh was 17th in 18:55, while Glenn finished the 5-kilometer course in 19:10 to take 20th.
"We saw some improved racing throughout our grade level lineups," WCHS head coach Tony Bussan said. "Our senior boys stood out ... overall, the boys continue to improve our depth in competition for spots."
The sophomores placed fourth, led by Seth Crouthamel (19:07) in 13th and Antrez Conley (19:35) in 15th. The juniors were a spot back in fifth, as Ryan Heinrichs (18:59) was the first WCHS competitor to cross the finish line; he was 13th.
Only two freshmen navigated the course, but Cole Zahn (20:26) matched Smith's feat by placing 10th.
(Webster City Only)
10. Cole Zahn 20:26; 37. Connor Foster 23:02.
13. Seth Crouthamel 19:07; 15. Antrez Conley 19:35; 28. Jason McVicker 20:47; 31. Jacob Perin 20:59; 93. Joel Hanus 31:13; 96. Bryan Johnston 35:55.
13. Ryan Heinrichs 18:59; 16. Brandon Arkland 19:14; 38. Adam McMurray 20:45; 59. Riley Beightol 22:22; 64. Jake Hayes 23:01; 84. Cody Sleiter 25:05; 90. Colin Heinrichs 25:46.
10. Steven Smith 18:24; 27. Jacob Clabaugh 18:55; 20. Ethan Glenn 19:10; 21. Nick Olmstead 19:14; 22. Eric Coleman 19:18; 26. Kenton Johnston 19:30; 50. Jon Tasler 21:00; 52. Sam Bowman 21:08.
(Webster City Only)
17. Cassidy Bultena 18:51; 25. Courtney Biere 19:18; 31. Allie Flaws 19:50; 43. Shey Gamble 20:44; 45. Ashley Flaws 20:52; 53. Taylor McIntire 21:30.
20. Kenady Highland 18:59; 28. Faith McClain 19:19; 38. Sarah Paukert 19:47; 71. Grace Bryan 23:30.
17. Gina Moline 18:49; 56. Solweig Milliere 22:17.
17. Morgan Moline 17:28; 42. Brenna Paukert 19:33; 56. Brittney Dodge 20:43; 62. Ashley Meyers 21:10; 63. Erica Just 21:15; 67. Rachel Hoffman 21:27; 93. Kelsey Bahrenfuss 23:46.
Senior Morgan Moline had the best time for the WCHS girls' squad, but it was the freshman group that fared the best in the team standings.
The Lynx rookies were fifth, as Cassidy Bultena (18:51) turned in a 17th-place finish. Courtney Biere (19:18) was 25th and Allie Flaws (19:50) took 31st.
Kenady Highland (18:59) was 20th for the sophomores, who occupied the sixth-place spot. Faith McClain (19:19) was 28th.
Moline's 4K time of 17:28 earned her 17th amongst the rest of the seniors. Brenna Paukert (19:33, 42nd) and Brittney Dodge (20:43, 56th) rounded out the Lynx 10th-place position.
Gina Moline (18:49) equaled her sister by placing 17th in the junior class competition.
WCHS will head off to Huxley on Monday to compete in the Ballard Invitational - annually one of the largest regular season meets in the state. Racing will get underway at 5 p.m.