Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Firefighter injured in Jewell fire

Injured man transported to Mary Greeley

August 9, 2012
Anne Blankenship - Managing Editor (editor@freemanjournal.net) , The Daily Freeman Journal

JEWELL - One firefighter was injured as members of the Jewell Fire Department battled a blaze at home on the south side of the community Thursday afternoon.

The Fire Department arrived at the home at 232 Main St. around 12:30 p.m. to discover smoke billowing from the rear of the home. According to Fire Chief Duane Hendrickson, his crew entered the front of the house to make sure no one was inside. The thick smoke prevent the firefighters from continuing into the house.

"The smoke was too thick to see anything," said Hendrickson. "We went in through the back of the house."

He said that at about the same time it was determined the fire was in the basement and the decision was made to bring the firefighters out of the house, one member of the crew reportedly fell through the floor.

"We spent most of our resources getting him out," Hendrickson said. The man, who has not yet been identified, was transported to Mary Greeley Medical Center and later to Mercy Hospital, then to Iowa City, according to Hendrickson. No information on his condition was available at press time.

The chief said the home, owned by Bruce Marsh, was deemed to be a total loss.

Ellsworth and Story City Fire Departments provided mutual aid at the scene.

 
 

 

I am looking for: