WILLIAMS - The Friends of Rose Grove Church are hosting a celebration service at the pioneer church on Sunday, July 15 at 11 a.m., located on the corner of 250th St. and Ubben Ave.
On June 27, 2012, the deed for the church was transferred from St. Paul Lutheran Church in Williams to the Friends of Rose Grove Church.
Rose Grove Church was one of three sister churches of the St. Paul parish in the early 1900s. The third church was the Landstad Church, located seven miles southeast of Williams. The Landstad Church was sold and dismantled in 1961.
-Daily Freeman-Journal photo by Teresa Wood
The Friends of Rose Grove Church will host a celebration service on July 15 at 11 a.m. at the pioneer church located on the corner of 250th and Ubben Ave, southwest of Williams. St. Paul Lutheran Church of Williams recently transferred the deed of the rural church to the Friends of Rose Grove Church, an organization dedicated to preserving and restoring the landmark which was built in the late 1880s.
The organization called Friends of Rose Grove Church banded together to save the church from demolition in late 2010.
Originally, the church was called Tabitha Lutheran Church and was affiliated with a Lutheran church in Jewell. But on March 20, 1890, it joined with St. Paul Lutheran Church in Williams.
Rose Grove Church was vacated in 1976. But since that time, a special Sunday service was held at Rose Grove during the Williams' Fourth of July celebration. Last year the special service was cancelled due to safety
Friends of Rose Grove Church member Ortrude Dial said that while the structure is sound, added safety precautions are being undertaken to safeguard guests.