DES MOINES?- The Egg-ceptional Eggs Cooking Contest will be held at the Iowa State Fair on Aug. 14 at 1:30 p.m. in the Elwell Family Food Center. Food classes include: salad or appetizer; entree; and dessert.
1. Recipe must be original, contain at least 4 whole eggs (none of them may be raw), and contain 12 ingredients or less.
2. Entries will be judged on the following: Flavor, 40 percent; appearance/presentation, 30 percent; texture, 20 percent; and ease of preparation, ten percent.
Awards are: First place overall, $150; second place overall, $100; and third place overall, $50.
Each contestant will receive a cooking utensil and recipes.
The Kids' Edible Egg Decorating Contest will also be held at the Iowa State Fair on Aug. 14 at 1:30 p.m.
1. This contest is only open to youth ages 5 to 11.
2. Turn a styrofoam cup upside down, put a popsicle stick in it and put a peeled, hard-boiled egg on the stick.
3. Use your imagination to decorate the egg. All decorations must be edible.
4. Contestants are to bring their decorated edible eggs on Aug. 14 for judging.
5. Entries will be judged on the following: Creativity, 40 percent; use of materials, 30 percent; appealing from all directions , 20 percent; and only edible objects used, 10 percent.
Awards are: First place, $25; second place, $20; and third place, $15.
Each entrant will receive kids' recipes and cooking utensil.