Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Down at half, WCHS boys answer and beat Wildcats in OT

Davis scores match-winner with 5 minutes left in 30-minute extra period

April 10, 2012
The Daily Freeman Journal

HUMBOLDT - Down two starters - oh by the way, one of them is the program's all-time leading goal scorer - the Webster City boys' soccer team dug its way out of a halftime deficit to pick up its first win of the season here last night.

Trailing 1-0 at the intermission and staring at the same deficit 75 minutes into the clash, the Lynx turned to freshman midfielder Demar Lemus for the tying goal, and then first-year player Jonny Davis, a senior, banged home the winner in the sudden death overtime period to give Webster City a 2-1 win over Humboldt.

"I was definitely pleased with the win," WCHS head coach Craig Signorin said. "The guys worked so hard, and to have it come down to the last 5 minutes like that the guys put on their game faces and just went to work."

Article Photos

Jon Tasler (5) moves the ball up the field as teammate Aaron Hoffman (7) trails last night in Humboldt. Webster City knocked off the Wildcats in OT, 2-1.

The Lynx (1-1) were without senior forward Caleb Crouthamel, who sits atop the program's all-time goals list, and junior defensive back Nick Olmstead.

With the wind at its back in the second half, WCHS fired shot after shot at the Wildcats, only to come up empty until Lemus scored from point blank range in the 75th minute.

"Demar played the whole game in the middle for us and he looked like a junior or senior out there," Signorin said. "He was great."

The match stayed tied at 1 until just 5 minutes remained in the 30-minute extra session. Taking advantage of a corner kick, Christian Lemus sent the ball screaming towards the near post. Garrett Gourley let it go by to the foot of Davis, who banged home the winner in the corner of the net.

"I just told Christian to take his time (on the corner kick), and he hit it perfectly," Signorin said.

Austin Koons was back in goal for WCHS after sitting out the season opener, and he held the Wildcats at bay throughout. The only shot to get by him was a rocket from 30 yards out in the 30th minute.

"It was another one of those freak goals from 30 yards out," Signorin said. "The kid hit it with tremendous topspin, and it started way over the goal but then spun all the way down and over Austin's head. But other than that our defense played really well again."

WCHS will be off until Friday when it will host Iowa Falls-Alden at 6 p.m.



I am looking for: