Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Almost Home nears first annivesary of new home

August 12, 2011
The Daily Freeman Journal

To the editor:

It has been nearly one year since Almost Home moved into our beautiful, brand new facility. We get compliments daily on how great it is compared to that rickety old shack we were in before. Oh, how we don't miss that place. Our animals are so much happier here and have so many more amenities to give them a better quality of life until they find their forever home.

Unfortunately, along with this brand new facility come more expenses. In our old building that was 2,000 square feet, it cost us $25,443 to run it per month; in our new building which is 10,000-square feet, it costs us $33,685 per month. If you break it down per animal, that's approximately $15 for every day here. We are much more cost-effective now, and our expenses are less than one and a half times what they use to be. At the end of the day though, we still need $34,000 per month. Our adoptions and retail sales only pay an average of 22.6 percent of our monthly expenses and we rely on your tax-deductible donations for the remaining 77.4 percent. We receive no state, county, or federal funding, including anything from the Humane Society of the United States. We also don't have any one donor that bank rolls the whole thing either.

The employees are fantastic. Most of them work for minimum wage and without any benefits. Every day they come to work because they believe they are making a difference. If they weren't here, what do you think would happen to all of these fur babies?

We have many great opportunities for you to help our wonderful furry friends. You can sponsor a pet of your choice for $25 per month or for a $250 donation, we will place a beautiful personalized picture tile on our donor wall with your name on it. Personalized brick pavers are available for $100 and are made part of our approach way into the building for all to see. There are so many ways you can help. Ask any of our board members or shelter staff about how you can become a Platinum or Gold sponsor.

Stop by the shelter today. We would love to give you a tour and help you find your new best friend that has just been waiting for you to show up.

Tania Dencklau

Fort Dodge

 
 

 

I am looking for: