Gas line struck in Eagle Grove
No injuries reported
EAGLE GROVE — Multiple people were evacuated from their homes Tuesday afternoon after a gas leak was reported on the west side of Eagle Grove, according to Bryce Davis, city administrator.
No injuries were reported.
Eagle Grove emergency crews were called to the area of North Hewitt Avenue and Northwest First Street shortly before 1 p.m. when a fencing crew struck a gas line, Davis reported.
The Region V Hazardous Materials Response Team, part of the Fort Dodge Fire Department, also responded.
The line is located three blocks southeast of Robert Blue Middle School.
According to Davis, the school went into a lockdown during the incident. Class was dismissed at normal time, he said.
Residents in the immediate area were asked to evacuate while a larger perimeter, which included the school, was asked to shelter in place during the incident.
Five people and three dogs were transported to Rotary Senior Living using a transport bus, Davis said.
“Rotary was gracious enough to allow us to use their equipment and move them to Rotary Assisted Living,” Davis said.
A shelter was opened for those who could not return to their homes, Davis said.
Crews from MidAmerican Energy Co. responded to the area and were able to stop the leak about 3:45 p.m.
The Eagle Grove Volunteer Fire Department, Eagle Grove Police Department, Eagle Grove EMS, Eagle Grove Public Works, Wright County Sheriff’s Department, Wright County Emergency Management, responded. The Eagle Grove Community School District and Rotary Assisted Living provided transportation and shelter services.