Man accused of fighting with deputy, attempting to take Taser

Matthew Nordin faces multiple charges in connection with the incident

BURNSIDE — A Gowrie man allegedly fought with a Webster County sheriff’s deputy and tried to steal his Taser during an arrest Tuesday.

Matthew J. Nordin, 49, is facing multiple charges in connection with the incident.

According to the criminal complaint, filed with the Webster County attorney’s office, Deputy Josh Van Waes, with the Webster County Sheriff’s Department, had arrested Nordin on an outstanding warrant for second-degree theft. It’s alleged that, back in December, Nordin had stolen a sport utility vehicle.

In the complaint, Van Waes stated that after he arrested Nordin and was transporting him to the Webster County Law Enforcement Center in Fort Dodge, Nordin became belligerent. He allegedly told Van Waes that he was going to break out the patrol car’s windows and escape if he wasn’t released.

At one point, the complaint stated Nordin was able to find an opening in the car’s partition that separated the defendant and the deputy and allegedly began hitting Van Waes.

The deputy pulled over at U.S. Highway 169 and 310th Street to try to get the situation under control.

But, according to the complaint, Nordin tried running away when Van Waes opened the door, and when the deputy tried getting him back into the patrol car, he couldn’t get the door closed.

Van Waes then pulled out his Taser and told Nordin that if he didn’t comply, he would be Tased.

It was then, according to Van Waes’ report in the complaint, that Nordin allegedly grabbed the Taser with both of his hands and struggled with the deputy.

Van Waes said the Taser was fired twice.

He said the situation calmed down when he allowed Nordin to get out of the vehicle, then had him lay on the ground until another deputy arrived to help.

Nordin was charged with disarming a peace officer, a class D felony, as well as interference with official acts causing bodily injury, a serious misdemeanor, for Tuesday’s incident.

In addition, Nordin was charged with two counts of possession of a firearm as a felon. In the complaints, Nordin allegedly admitted having a pistol in his truck, as well as having guns in his house.

The complaint stated that search warrants were executed on both the truck and home, and a pistol, as well as two rifles and two shotguns, were recovered.

According to the complaints, Nordin was convicted of carrying weapons in 2006.

At his initial appearance in Webster County Magistrate Court Wednesday, Nordin informed Magistrate William Habhab that attorney Kevin Fors, of Harcourt, would be representing him.

Habhab set Nordin’s bond on all of his charges, including the theft charge for which he was originally being sought, at $21,000 cash only.

A preliminary hearing, as well as a bond review, was scheduled for Feb. 16.