KYL 2017 budget released

Declining farmland cash rents result in cuts to hours, programs

The Kendall Young Library Board of Trustees approved the 2017 library budget at their December. The library has experienced a significant downturn in its income in recent years, according to library officials. The reduction is primarily due to declining cash rent on the library’s farmland. The library receives about 75 percent of its operating revenue from cash rent. The remaining 25 percent comes from investments, county support, fees, and donations. Cash rent for 2017 is projected to be $365,000, which is $150,000 less than three years ago. While the library has been able to save surplus income in previous years, the drastic reduction in recent years is requiring cutbacks in expenses.

To create the necessary savings, the Trustees approved several cost saving measures for 2017:

• The materials (books, DVDs, magazines, etc.) budget will be reduced by 35 percent.

• Part-time staff hours will be reduced by 10 percent.

• There will be a slight reduction in teen and adult programming.

• The library will close at 6 p.m. on Monday nights beginning Jan. 23.

• Additional holiday closures for 2017 will include Easter Saturday, the Saturdays of Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend, the Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving week and Saturday, Dec. 23.

• When Director Angie Martin-Schwarze leaves in July, Assistant Director Ketta Lubberstedt-Arjes will step in as Interim Director, resulting in one less full-time employee on staff for the remainder of the year.

A 2 percent cost of living increase was approved for the staff. “Our staff is the library’s greatest asset and they will be working hard to continue to deliver excellent service and programs to all of our patrons,” said Board President Mark Dohms. “The board will continue to seek ways to increase the library’s income and assets while using our resources in the most efficient way possible.”

In other business at the meeting, the slate of officers was approved. Dick Anderson will be retiring from the board after 15 years of service. He will be succeeded by Carol Yanda. The 2017 officers will be:

Mark Dohms, president; Tami Hejlik, vice president; Crystal Gordon, secretary; Steve Vande Zande, treasurer and Carol Yanda, gift chairman.

The regular board meeting date was changed to the third Monday of the month at 6 p.m. beginning on Feb. 20. The January meeting date will be on Thursday, Jan. 19 at 6:30 p.m.

COMMENTS