Brick by brick

Repairs to the damaged Webster City Municipal Building are nearing completion, according to city officials.

City Manager Ed Sadler said the outside brick of the building is finished. The inside of the building, however, is not yet finished. The brick wire mesh has to be installed on the interior wall of the council chambers as well as one of the two wooden closets where sound equipment for the room is housed. Sadler said the sound equipment must also be re-installed due to a crack in the wall that “messed up the sound system.”

Scott Vande Stouwe, owner of Scott’s Construction in Fort Dodge, and his crew have been working to repair damage caused by a car accident on Oct. 11.

“We’re hoping for it to be fully finished by mid-January,” Sadler said.

Vande Stouwe plans to acid wash the inside and outside brick work early next week.

The Webster City Municipal Building sustained damage when a man driving a pickup truck crashed into the front wall of the structure.

William Bisher, 55, Webster City, reportedly lost control of his Chevy S10 pickup and accelerated at a high rate of speed as he turned left from Superior Street onto Second Street. The truck continued to turn left and jumped over the curb, driving across the sidewalk and through the landscaped area, where it struck the front of the building. The truck went through the brick wall, causing what officials called “significant” damage to the structure.

Inside the municipal building, the collision created a large hole in the wall of the City Council chambers. Officers estimated that the damage to the building could be as much as $50,000 along with $5,000 in damage to the flag pole and $7,000 in damage to the landscaping.

Bisher’s vehicle was deemed a total loss. At the time, the driver told police officers he did not remember what happened and complained of multiple injuries. He was transported by ambulance to Van Diest Medical Center for treatment. No charges were filed.

The City Council along with other boards and commissions that usually meet in the council chambers have been meeting at Fuller Hall’s Sampson Room until the damage could be repaired.