WCCT to present ‘Mary Poppins Jr’
Youths 4th grade through age 18 invited to audition
Webster City Community Theatre is offering an opportunity for area youth to have a “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” experience on their stage this fall.
According to director Loween Getter, the one-act musical offers area youth the opportunity to be part of the magic of Mary Poppins by being a part of the Broadway Junior™ version of the show. It includes familiar characters and songs from the Broadway show that was based on the movie. She will be assisted by Angela Rottering, Music Director Dane Barner, and stage manager Cathy Olson.
Auditions for Disney and Cameron MacKintosh’s “Mary Poppins Jr.” will be held for students 4th grade through the age of 18 on Sunday, Aug. 26, at 3 p.m. and Monday, Aug. 27, at 6 p.m. at the theatre located at 1001 Willson Ave., in Webster City.
Auditions will include reading from the script, singing familiar songs from “Mary Poppins,” and simple dance steps. Scripts are available for 3-day check-out at Kendall Young Library.
Youths auditioning are asked to bring a schedule of availability and conflicts from Sept. 4 through Oct. 21. Production dates for “Mary Poppins Jr.” are October 12-14 and 19-21.
There are roles for the following characters:
• Bert, the chimney sweep
• George Banks, father
• Winifred Banks, mother
• Jane Banks, their daughter
• Michael Banks, their son
• Katie Nanna, Jane and Michael’s current nanny
• Mrs. Brill, family housekeeper and cook
• Robertson Ay, the family houseboy/butler
• Mary Poppins, the new, practically perfect nanny
• Neleus, a Greek statue in the park
• Bird Woman, old woman who sells crumbs for the birds
• Chairman, head of the bank where George works
• Miss Smythe, the Chairman’s secretary
• Von Hussler, shady businessman seeking a bank loan
• John Northbrook, honest business seeking a bank loan
• Mrs. Corry, owns the magical Talking Shop
• Miss Andrew, George’s strict childhood nanny
• Policeman, neighborhood patrol officer
• Messenger, delivers messages
• Others as chimney sweeps, kite flyers, Mrs. Corry’s customers, Londoners in the park and at the cathedral, bank clerks, and bumblebees.
Adults and youth interested in working behind the scenes are encouraged to contact the directors. Crew members are being sought for set construction, choreography, costuming, tech, stage crew, makeup, props, usher captain, and house manager.